Nicola Lamb’s Hot Cross Buns are a classic British Easter dish that are made from a dough that is boiled in milk, then shaped into rolls and deep-fried. This guide will teach you how to make Nicola Lamb’s Hot Cross Buns at home, step-by-step.
What are Hot Cross Buns?
Hot Cross Buns are a type of bread that are usually served on Good Friday or Easter. They are made by combining yeast and warm water, then adding flour, salt, sugar, butter, and eggs. The dough is then rolled out and shaped into a bun. Finally, it is baked until golden brown.
How to Make Hot Cross Buns
Hot Cross Buns are one of the most popular Easter treats around, and they’re really easy to make at home. Nicola Lamb shares her recipe for the best hot cross buns ever, and even includes a step-by-step guide so that you can make them perfectly every time.
Tips for Making the Perfect Hot Cross Bun
Here are some tips for making the perfect hot cross bun:
– Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
– Sift together two cups of all-purpose flour, one teaspoon of salt, and one cup of sugar.
– In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
– In a small bowl, whisk together one egg and one cup of milk. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix or your buns will be tough.
– Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball. Place the balls on a lightly floured surface and press them down slightly. With a sharp knife, cut each ball in half, so that you have 24 pieces of dough.
– Place the buns on an ungreased baking sheet and prick them several times with a fork. Bake for 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Allow the buns to cool on a wire rack before serving.
The History of Hot Cross Buns
Hot cross buns are a staple in many households throughout the world, and for good reason. They’re simple to make, with a sweet flavor and a crispy crust. Nicola Lamb shares the story of how these buns came to be, and provides instructions on how to make your own.
Recipes for Hot Cross Buns
Nicola Lamb’s Hot Cross Buns are a delicious and festive treat. This recipe is easy to follow and will result in hot, fresh cross buns that are perfect for Easter or any other special occasion.
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a 9×13 inch baking dish.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together 1 cup warm water, 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon yeast, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in 2 cups all-purpose flour. Let the dough rise until it doubles in size, about 30 minutes.
3) Punch down dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits. Place on prepared baking dish. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, whisk together 3/4 cup milk and 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Bring milk mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until needed.
5) In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1/4 cup
If you’re a fan of Hot Cross Buns, then you’ll want to try out Nicola Lamb’s recipe for the perfect dough. This bread is delicious and easy to make, so get ready to enjoy some heavenly pastry in no time!